Friday, May 18, 2012

WAR OFF THE WORDS!!

It happened when i thought i might be able to do some debating stuff in nitd.long back when i was in my 8th or 9th standard i gave my last try in debating and elocution; and something went wrong for which i promised myself not to do it again(perhaps out of cowardice!).so this time hopes were rejuvenated and the courtesy- my roomie of nit d.well,she was in her high spirits and needed a partner to go for the competition.she was to speak  against the motion and myself-FOR the motion.actually there was not even a penny of practice and no notes,no discussion,nothing.we just copied this stuff from internet-that too from the same website which gave the differences in a tabular form!we jotted down all the points and hurried to the conference hall where it was to be held.the rules for the competition were mentioned and our group was numbered 4.then i saw a man entering the hall and all the student coordinators greeted him.i thought, as this was organised by CCA-the tech club of NIT D and was sponsored by TIMES OF INDIA,some high circle might have come.but then i saw it was our very own irritating English teacher who has a unique sense of humor.then slowly the competition-war of the words started.
             I was pretty cool when the first person went to start but i took to nerves as soon as i heard his arguments-that damn boy had exactly the same points i have written.he started it right from the first line of my speech and well;missed few points(i thought of covering those points meanwhile) and ended it very eloquently.till then my friend wanted to number ourselves as the last team and i was trying to make sense to her;but after hearing the first speaker i was not at all ready to speak within 10mins.i wanted more time to make my head clear and write new points.but no.its my fate-i had to be ready.well,i was briskly thinking and making notes and meanwhile the second speaker came and vomited the other points of my speech which i stored for myself.its exactly and word to word same and i was praying to God to show me a way out.i can't just walk out of the hall-it represents cowardice and in front of too many people i couldn't even risk that.that left me with only one choice-face it and get humiliated!i even begged one of my seniors to lend me few points(another act of humiliation when he declined!).
                                                  Then,finally it was my turn.i walked through aisle gracefully without even a hint of tense though i was on my nerves and at the verge of fleeing instead of going to the dais but i don't know a sudden act of feeling professional dawned upon me and i went there.i introduced myself and prayed to God for a brief second and not knowing what to do i started looking at the people who were actually waiting for me to speak!everyone was so silent and few guys were on their nerves just like i was few minutes before.then i felt that i'm not going to address a country or something that important to make me tensed.even the other guys are in the same phase as i was.i started nonchalantly with some sentences which barely made any sense and secretly wishing that a miracle might happen and i will be saved from dishonor.then,there it was -POWER FAILURE-which saved my day.i gasped for air and was relieved that at last my prayers were answered by the almighty.the judge-our English teacher had some important work and so the debate was postponed.i thanked God as i have never thanked and felt that i was the luckiest human being-really that day i was yee bit away from getting mortified.i think i successfully chickened out!
                  At last i am again the same person with even strong determination of never attending any debate competition.
 moral of the story-never take decisions in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comment here